Sunday, January 15, 2006

Dots and dashes

There's something about punctuation. I read a lot and most--almost all--these books have perfect punctuations. They are all punctuated, italicised, aligned and presented in the proper manner. I guess my eyes are used to properly proofread text. And that it why, I state in my defence, I'm so finicky about punctutation.

A page of print with incorrect punctuation, spellings or any kind of error seems to drive me crazy. My hands itch to grab it, edit it and throw it back from whence it sprang! And this is kind of inconvenient, especially when people ask me my opinion on anything they've written. This doesn't happen a lot but we generally swap stories in my creative writing class and you can imagine how disconcerting it must be for a budding--er--creative writer to be criticised on how many dots ideally go into an elipse--three--and how multiple exclamation marks are a huge no-no for writing. So, I am forced to keep my diplomatic silence and struggle to look beyong the mundane--the world of proper punctuation--and into the deeper plane, that of the actual matter written.

I guess I'm one of those rare indivuiduals who are not irritated overmuch with the Grammar and Spelling checker on Microsoft Word. Of course, I agree with most people regarding how irritating the message "Fragment. Consider revising." can be. I mean, sometimes you want it to be a bleeding fragment. But oh... I love auto-corrects which turn double hyphens into emdashes and single hypens into endashes. And replace-alls are so wonderful!

I'm sure I've just revealed what a lunatic I am from the above. I mean, who obsesses over puntuations? Who really gives a damn what the hell an emdash is? But again, I defend myself that everyone has a pet obsession and this is mine. Who doesn't? Let me see a show of hands? Wasn't there a guy who obsessed over his coins? Silas something? And what about... hmm... oh, yes! What about dogs who can't sleep or even lie down without circling the ground a couple of times? Never mind that the first was fictitious and the latter is an animal. It illustrates my point well enough. I'm not neurotic or kooky just because I believe that all your i's should be dotted and your t's crossed...literally!

If you're still not convinced, fine! I am a kook. But at least I'm a well-edited kook! Now how many people can claim that? Mwahahaha!

8 comments:

smoke said...

LOL, blogs are excluded from my obsession. If they weren't I would be insane by now. :D

Ms. Lane said...

i agree with you totally, you too deserve to have some obession, am just so glad you are available to proof read all my stuff.i hope this obsession stays on forever..

Ms. Lane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Arjun Sukumaran said...

THANK you! Finally! Multiple exclamation marks are a sign of sheer insanity! People who use them should be locked away!
Right...as you probably could tell, I sympathise wholeheartedly...even if I am as, if not more, typo-prone as anyone else.

smoke said...

Especially on your keyboard malfunction days... it's a hilarious situation then!

re-belle said...

I empathise, i really do,especially about the grammar situation. Ah, how often have i been rebuked for pointing out a gross omission. So what if its in a chemistry paper with 32/100 written in bright red ink?

karthik said...

I've no idea how you've managed to read through any of my posts. Punctuation and grammar gave up on me and vice versa ages ago.

smoke said...

Yes, I noticed. But at least you bother to spell out whole words! For that I shall be eternally grateful! :D

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.