Saturday, March 18, 2006

Feminism...

Delicate topic, probably stepping on a lot of toes here so I'll start off with a disclaimer.

The thoughts expressed below (such as they be) are my own. I do not expect you to conform to them. I do not judge anyone with conflicting opinions--I respect your opinion. This is not an attack of any strain of philosophy except maybe some hypothetical alien ones. However, heated discussions, arguments and mild fist-fights are welcome! :D Other than that, as someone I know would say, "Peace out....!"

I'm female.And as anyone who has known me for even a short while would tell you, I'm a feminist. I'm not ashamed of it, nor proud of it. I just am. And I believe lots of women claim to be (and are) to a variety of extents. I'm not a rabid one, not a spineless one. Somewhere in between. Or so I think. I don't hate men. Someone once told me they thought I did and this baffled me. I asked around and many people seemed to think the same thing. So I start off saying this. I don't hate men. I dislike some things about them but find me one person who doesn't like the something about the opposite sex and I'll find you a vella kakka (for the slang illiterate: white crow)! :)

But one thing I'm sure of is that I'm a feminist to some extent. What I don't understand about some women is that they claim to feminists yet are unwilling to give up the comforts that go hand-in-hand with the demand for equality. Take the example of buses. A lot of women--including some feminists--expect a man to get up and give them a seat if the bus is too crowded. The same applies to opening doors and pulling out chairs.

Women of this age are trying to break the shackles of ages of discrimination against them based on a puny little chromosome. Yet they accept these so-called signs of "chivalry" as their due. Is a woman incapable of opening a door for herself? Does she who, when alone, is able to do these little things and more by herself, suddenly find herself incapable of a task that requires less IQ and muscle than a toddler's?

When I state this, most people argue saying that I'm being too pessimistic and unnecessarily negative about the whole thing. It's just a sign of caring, they say. Don't women like to be pampered? My argument is that, sure, it's a sign of caring. Very sweet n all that. But how come women aren't expected to do the same for men? Or do you mean men don't like to be pampered?

It's also the same with men paying for all the dating expenses. Seriously, we're not in the middle ages. Women /girls get as much salary/pocket money as men/guys. So why is the guy expected to pay the bill? This is the height of unfariness! Men are getting a pretty raw deal, aren't they?

But then one may argue that lots of things work as men want them to so maybe women do deserve these perks. Well, these are the very inequalities feminism claims to want to abolish. Then why support them?

11 comments:

re-belle said...

My thoughts exactly! Finally, i find someone who doesnt look at me like ive suddenly sprouted a large quantity of curled hair out of my ears when i say something to this effect. In fact, i blogged about this sometime back.
nice space, keep it going!

Arjun Sukumaran said...

Hey....*looks around, realizes just what he's commenting on, and scoots.*

Discretion being the better part of...well, survival.

SirGit said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
VaishKan said...

u r rite. gr8 one, typical jan (not in the offensive way). but bout the bill part... we can go dutch or take turns in payin the bills. but when a guy insists on payin, u know wht i always feel? oh well, gr8 way to save! i don mean to b selfish but u knw a loser, if he wants to b a loser, y shud v stop him???

smoke said...

Thanks, the bored one Will check out your entry.

Wise,dreamer gray, wise

Quicksand! Dont let your current/prospective boyfriend see this! Who knows what'll happen! :D

Poshgit said...

Totally agree, Sir Git! And an earnest plea to women out there-for the 'lord of quizzes' sake pls get off your bums and start taking part in quizzes! It's highly aggravatin to be in quizzes packed with male participants( though it makes for good 'sight-addichifying,if there are any hunks, but that's another story;-) please women, show the world who the intelligent homo sapiens are!

Blazin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blazin said...

Honestly when I saw the title, i went great jus what the world needed, another Feminist but seriously i read your entry up - down, left to right (lol k that was dumb english is read from up to down and left to right but still dat was a way to emphasise hehe)and I DIDNT SEE ONE THING I WOULDNT AGREE ONE. Awesome stuff keep it goin. Oh dont know if i can comment on a comment of yours, but oh well sue me :P TO QUICKSAND you know when you are thinking that, there is a high possibility the guy is feeling all generous and duh he cant give you alms,so he tells himself "gr8 jus another hungry chick, i need to buy lunch" .............................................. And yeah P.s : I FULLY UNDERSTAND IF U (jan, lol not yet know your name) decides to delete this comment.

smoke said...

... Right. Thanks poshgit, but I'm afraid I can't help you there. Two quizzing geniuses--not one but two!--sit right in front of me (hint, hint). Gives me a bleeding inferiority complex the size of...um... Jupiter!

As for you, mr.blazing ice, while I am glad you agree with me, I DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR MALE CHAUVENISTIC, SEXIST VIEWS! :-p However, in the interest of that pesky thing called Freedom of Expression, I shall let your comment be. Sigh... why do I have to be so secular and fair? ;)

Peace...

Blazin said...

To Jan Sighhhhh and i thought ur majesty was really just, U call me Male Chauvenist and Sexiest (lol Sexist i mean *wink*), while you over look her words, WHY ? i dono maybe she is ur frnd, even better she is a GIRL. Alas with great ache in my 'HEART'(lol not anything else) You've let me down sniff sniff.

smoke said...

Well, ahem, I guess maybe posh was being sexist but ahem. Can I justify it saying I'm a girl too so it's ok?

Hmm... somehow, I suspect the answer will be a big NO!

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.