Thursday, May 25, 2006

Insomnia

Thoughts claw at the mind, filling the brain to the point of bursting. Raw emotions flicker behind my heavy, sleep-deprived eyelids, forcing my mind from its stupor into a tired restlessness. Though the last ray of has light long since disappeared, the scorching red rays of fears and resurfacing nightmares pulse in my mind's eye as sleep eludes me.

I try counting sheep, but all I can think of are the comical sheep that jump fences from some long-forgotten cartoon. Yet the memory fails to elicit the slightest smile from me. I've lost count of the number of times I've tossed and turned. I take a deep breath, force my eyes closed and try to the think of nothing, to imagine me floating, light as a feather, in eternal nothingness. The guy in the book could do it so effortlessly. Hmm. Never finished that series--when is the next boo--? And, just like that, my eyes are wide open again, staring into the darkness.

The silence deafens me. The power failure silences the ac, the fan and the house is unnaturally quiet. The silence seems to press against my ears--so much so that if I let it last long enough, it seems to go 'ping' in my ear.

Light from outside make weird patterns on my walls. My imagination needs little prompting to spin wild images of unspeakable things from these patterns. The curtains flutter from a slight warm breeze. I force my eyes shut again and lie on my stomach--uncomfortably, as the heat makes the mattress stick to me. I mutter and wonder if the night will never end.

I throw pillows on the ground in frustration, then throw myself down too. The cool marble floor welcomes me like a swimmign pool, enveloping the body after a long hard day of work. I sigh... And slip into that blessed land of sleep.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After typing this out and re-reading it, I feel strangely compelled to justify putting this up on the blog. So bear with me...

I know exactly what brought this on--one sleepless night, duh. I got up and took a piece of paper and started writing this down. Not as brilliant as some other midnight brainwaves, I'm sure! But whatever, just had to put it up for some odd reason. This will probably embarass me sometime in the future, but hey! I don't really like the future me. So ha! She deserves it! ;)

Oh, and do be kind in your comments.

On second thought, spare the kindness. More interesting that way!

13 comments:

Varun B. Krishnan said...

insomnia clawed through me and cleaved through me as well, hence online now, jobless. good to see you are as jobless as me and actually being pretty 'flowery' and garrulous about it. lol. ok, i shall kidnap you. Is you dad a financially superfluous man? ;-)

Abhinav said...

hey nice post... insomnia sucks ass.. i usually go and play age of empires 3 for a bit.
come to think of it, thats my solution for most things...
kidnap you is it... you should be careful saying such things when i'm around.. i'm very capable of actually doing it :)

karthik said...

i go through that soooo bloody often now that i got hols and im sleeping .... nice.

karthik said...

dont encourage perverts!!

karthik said...

and check out similar post at:
http://meaning4life.blogspot.com/2006/04/blog-for-blogs-sake.html

Abhinav said...

eternal flunky,
is that directed towards me? hey wait a second - vbk before me had purely mercenary motives, isnt that worse than my purely perverted motives?
probably not. i dont know why i even try to argue.

smoke said...

hey hey hey! What's all this talk about kidnapping me? Go take a close second look at it--I'm kidnapping myself. Sadly, I'm not "financially superfluous" and cannot pay my own ransom. Death awaits me... aaargh! Soembody saaaave meee!

smoke said...

Well, perverts, you know, flunky? They come, they go. They find encouragement in everything and nothing. So I'm kinda helpless here... :D Oh and I saw the post... weirdly similar, eh?

aw, I'm sure no one's insulting you, abhinav... why would you think that? Guilty conscience, perhaps? ;)

Sudhir syal said...

Hey Jan,

Got her from Abhinav's blog.

Do agree, Insomnia is the worst, especially when yr jet lagging.

Best things to do, if yr not gettin any sleep :-

1. Try Studying :- ( Used to work like a charm for me)

2. Try watchin Bold and the Beautiful ( You will fall asleep, tryin to figure out who is married to whom)

3. Knock down a big bottle of water, sounds really stupid but it apparently works.

Fair enough! Keep bloggin..

smoke said...

Hey sudhir... thanks for dropping in! And for the advice...

I'd try it too except that there's nothing to study during the holidays and bold and the beautiful doesnt run nights. But yeah, I get the basic idea. Maybe I'll just switch to one of our very own melodramas aka serials. And the water of course.

Sudhir syal said...

Great...have blogrolled you. Cherio.

Da Rodent said...

I have this real boring book on fundamental calculus. When I desperately want to sleep., I read that book. My parents think I'm trying to figure out my math abilities.. :P If only they knew.. :P

smoke said...

woah, calculus! stay away from me! :P

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.