Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The "Moment"

Falling in love...

I think the experience has been so publicized and romanticized by everything from poems to movies to novels to endless discussions that we often forget or never realise that falling in love is something so... full of freedom.

I don't mean falling in love sets you free. I mean falling in love itself defies any fetters and is open to everything. Why is falling in love immediately associated with a member of the opposite (or same) sex? Admitted, it's also often the case that we say "I fell in love with that song/painting/poem!" But I believe falling in love can go even beyond that--you can fall in love with a moment or a person in a particular moment, after which you may not be in love with them. You can fall in love with a certain emotion or a particular piece of stone or... anything! You can fall in love with a person who may or may not even exist, as in the case of this poem (which I've fallen in love with.)

And that moment is as beautiful and memorable as falling in love with a person is. Every time you recall the moment, you feel the warmth and the sheer thrill all over again. Would it be too weird if I said that there is a certain almost... sexual satisfaction in it? The moment doesn't happen a lot but it does take your breath away when it does, cliche as that sounds!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i kno i have stopped blogging... but commenting, i have not :)

and i just cud nt stop myself from commenting on this fantabulous post of urs. Excepting the final stanza where u relate ur theory to sexual release (and thereby spoiling the entire flow), i must say that ur viewpoint is totally TOTALLY awesome.

I just read the poem. Its good, but its nt eliciting the same emotions in me as it has in u. Which language does Rilke write in?

"falling in love with a moment and then nt loving it" - wow :)

i am nt too good with words and hence am unable to explain what am thinking rite now :)

but am nt feeling too bad... atleast in front of a Lit stud who distrusts and mistrusts my credibility :P

grt, grt post!!!

-anush

Jan said...

thanks crazybugga... or should i say anush? Hmmm and I didn't say sexual release... I meant a physical, almost sexual sense of connection or thrill... Anyway, we disagree :)

Rilke writes in German and while translations are sometimes awkward, I feel even the awkwardness adds to the beauty of his poetry. Although, I AM sometimes tempted to learn German just to read the originals!

And ok, ok, they both mean nearly the same ok? Nothing to do with your credibility, just my ignorance :P Get over it!

AtomicGitten said...

Damn!That opening line is a complete googly! For a MOMENT I'd thought that the great Gunther had fallen :P (terrible... but irresistable)
Lovely post dudette, we both seem to be enjoying the soaking in of experiences through our blogging :D

And hey Crazybugga! er... Anush! Long time. :)

Jan said...

Hehe, atomic you thought I chose that for a first line in complete innocence?! Cheap thrills are all I live for. Sigh... You should try them some time :D And yes, yes! I wouldn't be surprised if we even write about the experience of the first grey hair n all! Sigh, tried quitting, but just couldn't :)

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.