Friday, November 21, 2008

Emptying My Brain

The next time someone tells me that Tamil is a difficult language to learn, I'll thank them and feel flattered. After all, I must be pretty smart seeing that I learned most of this "difficult" language by the time I was four!

How do some people talk literally for hours on the phone?! My roommate holds a Master's Degree in this and just listening to her yak at all times of the day and night exhausts me. Imagine holding a phone to your ear ALL the time. Or talking for hours to someone whose facial expressions you cannot see. Creepy.

It's strange to think that no matter what opinion I express, someone somewhere at some time disagrees with/disapproves of/violently opposes every word. So why this obsession with political correctness and being agreeable?

I feel all weird and eerie if I think about the world getting wiped out suddenly tomorrow. No one would know. There wouldn't even be a question of caring. Even the most self-centred people would not (be able to) give a damn. And even if we whip up a frenzy about the world ending today, when it does, well, all in vain, eh?

I'm sometimes freakishly possessive. I feel like people, books, movies, even SMELLS belong enclusively to me. Hmm. Weird. And creepy again.

We, as a species, are all morbidly (if unconsciously) obsessed with death and yet seem experts at ignoring this fact. Born astride the grave indeed. Existentialists rock!

Vina nooru kanaavum nooru, vidai solladi...

What is aliens are all around us but we have no clue cos we don't have the right kind of senses to... sense them? It might explain a lot of unexplained phenomena. An alien could be reading this right now and pointing at me and laughing. And now reading <--- that and frowning. And reading <--- that and... ok, this can go on forever. I'll stop.

Brain transplants would be, like, todally coo-uhl!

Would I be a wimp if I wanted to wear gloves already? Freaking frozen fingers!

A dimly lit room seems pitch dark as soon as your enter it and in just half a minute you wonder how you ever thought it was dark. I'm sure there's a deep and significant metaphor in there but too lazy to look for it now.

Why is it so hard to stop looking for approval, either peer or societal or parental or familial or whatever-al, even when you know in your head it's stupid and you must be who you are?

Darn mosquitos!

There's something strangely fair in the fact that life isn't fair, you know?

Life is absurd. The sheer absurdity of the fact that I'm sitting here and pressing down on these weird protrusions that in turn produce some weirdly shaped marks on a weird-looking flat surface which stand for some chemical impulses in my head is absurd enough. Add to that the fact that you are looking at these weird-shaped marks and they stand for something in your head which may or may not be what it stood for in my head. Uh.

It's past midnight. No wonder I'm treading the thin line between randomness and sheer nonsense. G'night then.

P.S.: Brain nice and empty now! :)

5 comments:

AtomicGitten said...

Hmmm...
I'm tempted to make sarcy comments at the "emptying brain" concept, but am just too tired to do so. :P
Nicely done: like the skip-hop-jump qualitly.
I guess we share uncannily similar mind-clutter. At least you got a chance to re-organise. In my case, any attempt to do that any time now will probably lead to nervous breakdown. :P

Materialmom said...

A profound post.
The only humdrum part is the one on wearing gloves, for which I can help with a tip: Keep unpeeled, recently boiled potatos in the pockets of your jacket.Your fingertips will feel wonderfully warm. Don't use the pockets in the upper part. :)

N said...

umm.. Isn't emptying the brain a purely theoretical concept that's put to good use in films (eternal sunshine) and tv shows (heroes!)?
Doesn't expressing thoughts result in forming memories which actually occupy same/more amount of space than the original thoughts?

I know of a nice method by which you can kill a few brain cells. But it's illegal and involves greenery.

PS: You're thinking of the end of the world, death, existentialism etc at the end of the day?! Hilarious post!!

Jan said...

Atomic, as i always say, never resist temptation! :D Especially of the sarcastic kind.

Er, thanks for the odd if extremely useful tip, material mom! will try it out posthaste... Of course, considering how hungry cold weather makes me, the potato is more likely to warm my stomach than my fingers ;)

Hmm, involves greenery, N? Good good, I've always been the return-to-nature types ;P As for the emptying the brain concept, what can I say? I'm a great spiritual/intellectual who has transcended the material world and now lives in the world of pure theory. in fact, if you manage to acquire the... greenery... you mentioned and send it over, I'll probably light it up with the Big Bang Theory. :D

N said...

try www.webehigh.com
It currently covers 1091 cities and gives detailed information about natural "green" reserves in these places :)

For New Delhi, visit http://www.webehigh.com/city/detail.php?CITYID=2030

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.