Saturday, December 24, 2005

Reader's block...

I'm sure anyone who's tried to write regularly has stumbled upon the painful and mysterious phenomenon of the writer's block. The thoughts would probably fill the mind to the bursting but the minute the pen touches the paper/the fingers touch the keys, the mind goes blank. The words just won't flow.

Well, I'm not gonna talk about that. I mean, who cares. As long as I'm not afflicted with it, who gives a flying damn? Self-centered, you say? True... too true...

But what I do suffer from is a rare affliction. In fact, I think I might have invented it. Many years from now, it shall become a famous incurable even somewhat fatal disease named after me... Jan Sydrome. Wow! The thought fills me with an odd kinda elation. Immortalised through a disease. How many people can claim that in this day and age?

Anyway, back to the actual details of this mysterious affliction. I'm, anyone who knows me will tell you, a serious bookworm. A maniacal bookworm too. While I'm sure that there are people who read much more than I did, do or ever will, I nevertheless read a lot. Lately, however, my reading has come to a complete halt. I pick up a book, read a few lines and wham! I cant concentrate. At first I thought it was just the books I was choosing.

But to my horror, I discovered that nothing - I repeat nothing - could snap me out of that rut. I tried everything--all my favourite authors. Douglas Adams, Jordan, Gabaldon, Rowling, Nora Roberts. I tried some obscure vampire book I had lying around. I tried a much unread copy of Great Expectations, but nope. No deal.

But there is hope for me. By the mercy of the all that is good, I happened to be gifted a copy of Wodehouse's Full Moon -- A Blandings Story for new year. And yes! This seems to be the right cure for J.S. (Jan Syndrome :D) I'm now into the whole crack-pot life of Blandins Castle with the usual bunch of youngsters in love running around, plotting parents, not to mention miscellaneous crackpot noblemen and their maniacal pigs. Ah! I was in heaven!

Hats off, Pelham!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work!
[url=http://mwqvicgy.com/myjj/pbni.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://qywfwhae.com/mfwy/klxf.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://mwqvicgy.com/myjj/pbni.html | http://cyhleuvh.com/necx/ummn.html

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.