Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Fave quotes...

Well, this is another bit of cheating but not out of desperation. I really wanted to put up my all time/current fave quotes. They're really mixed up--serious one mixed with the funny ones--but love 'em all! :D Haven't included poetry though. That would make it too long (it already is!) Well enough preamble...

A mirror
keeps me honest.
With your eyes I see me
doubting my sanity.

-Rini Mukkath

And did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?
-Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"

We're just two lost souls, swimming in a fish bowl
-Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"

If blood will flow when flesh and steel are one
Drying in the colour of the evening sun
Tomorrow's rain will wash the stains away
But something in our minds will always stay
-Sting "Fragile"

But my God woke up
On the wrong side of his bed
And it just don't matter now
- Oasis "Little by Little"

Let them eat cake
-Queen Marie Antoinette (when told that the people had no bread)

By the time this is over, I'm gonna need a whole lota serious therapy. Look at my eye twitchin'!
- Donkey from "Shrek"

Hold the phone.
-Shrek

I want my Miranda rights! You were supposed to say I have the right to remain silent! You didn't say I have the right to remain silent!

Donkey! You HAVE the right to remain silent! What you lack is the ability!

-From "Shrek 2"

The sky resembles a backlit canopy
With holes punched in it
- Incubus "I Wish You Were Here"

He who laughs, lasts
-Unknown

If I ever met myself, I'd hit myself so hard I won't know what's hit me.
-Zaphod Beeblebrox, HHGG

The Universe was created and a lot of people were unhappy.

For a moment, nothing happened. After a moment, nothing continued to happen.

-HHGG

When angry count four; when very angry, swear.
-Mark Twain

Civilization is a limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities.
-Mark Twain

I don't question YOUR existence.
-God

I am an agnostic pagan. I doubt the existence of many gods.
-Unknown

Do unto yourself what others would not do unto you. Enough said.
-http://meghalomania.com/

"Hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It's like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die."
- Native American Saying

"Together we can rule this world. All I need is your obedience and submission to my will!"
- Dr. Who

If you're parents never had children, the chances are you won't either
- Unknown

"Books are fatal: they are the curse of the human race. Nine-tenths of existing books are nonsense, and the clever books are the refutation of that nonsense. The greatest misfortune that ever befell man was the invention of printing."
-Benjamin Disraeli. (NOTE: Reading addict that I am, I don't necessarily agree with this. Thought that it maybe had a glimmer of truth in it.)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take your breath away
- From "Hitch"

"It is only possible to succeed at second-rate pursuits -- like becoming a millionaire or a prime minister, winning a war, seducing a beautiful woman, flying through the stratosphere, or landing on the moon. First-rate pursuits -- involving, as they must, trying to understand what life is about and trying to convey that understanding -- inevitably result in a sense of failure. A Napoleon, a Churchill, a Roosevelt can feel themselves to be successful, but never a Socrates, a Pascal, a Blake. Understanding is forever unattainable. Therein lies the inevitability of failure in embarking upon its quest, which is nonetheless the only one worthy of serious attention."
Malcolm Muggeridge, 1965

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months
- Oscar Wilde

Kill 1-20 and you're a Murderer
Kill 30 - 1000 and you're a Terrorist
Kill 10.000 - 20 million and you're a Conqueror/Dictator
Kill everyone and you're God

"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing." - Oscar Wilde

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Einstein.

Farnsworth: These are the dark matter engines I invented. They allow my starship to travel between galaxies in mere hours.
Cubert: That's impossible. You can't go faster than the speed of light.
Farnsworth: Of course not. That's why scientists increased the speed of light in 2208.
- Futurama.

On a universal scale our little corner of creation is a mere dimple on a pimple on a sand flea's nut, insignificant.
-PsychoticEpisode, Sciforums.com

13 comments:

c said...

awsome quotes jana!

Abhinav said...

a dimple on a pimple on an ant's nut? lol... thats a really good one, albeit a teensy weensy bit disgusting.
nice quotes!

smoke said...

Thanks, c... :D

Abhinav (no, I'm not changing that! :p) I think the disgusting bit increases the effect of the statement. I saved the best for the last, lol!

Ms. Lane said...

hey dudette g8 quotes have heard the shrek ones like a zillion times from you.most of the quotes are my fav's too..didnt know u like the hitch quote..really nice one actually and the pink floyd one is just brilliant..oh and god one too..ah well love them all..cheers!

Abhinav said...

you did indeed...
and talking of pink floyd's wish you were here, what about the lines that go "we're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year"
that one always gets me

Namrata said...

Einstein rules second only to Floyd of course.How come you don't have anything from the Wall and Comfortably Numb??
Not to mention no tribute to Tull and The Doors who wrote some of the greatest lyrics of all time.
But please to include this in the list.."Obvious confusion is always better than apparent clarity."
Abhu:whys is the last quote disgusting??Its very appropriate and very profundly humbling.

Namrata said...

And how have you left out my blog from the list of some litty thingys???I demand redress!!!!

Namrata said...

And exactly how does abhu's blog qualify as a lit blog??
Not fair.

smoke said...

Hey, rini! Everybody who's known me for any length of time would be really sick of hearing my Shrek quotes. If you still like it, I aplaud thee, dear friend! Hehe, glad you liked the quotes.

Abhinav, well, now that you mention it, I dunno why I left that out. It's one of my favourite lines to. The problem with songs is that, just like poetry, there're too many lyrics I love! I'll have to devote a whole separate post for it. But I shall add the fish bowl thing.

Gitler! Welcome back! Well, am not that big a fan of either Tull or the Doors so that's why I haven't added them. Um... sorry? And as for why your blog didn't come under the litty type thingies, blame it on my scatter-brained ness (?) I shall change it. As for ABHU'S blog, dunno, I just thought the name was pretty poetic and litty... was studying for the prose n poetry exam the day I came across it. What with reading about Sydney and his poetry n all that...

Hey, don't look at me! I'm not Ms. Perfect!

Namrata said...

All I have to say is HA!

tanjanali said...

*gasps at the fact the you dont like doors* *laughs at the quotes from hhgg... aah fond memories* *seconds gitler on the floyd comment*
*now makes known to the world of blogging one's own creation... for your kind perusal*

"the world is MY ashtray and the universe My barstool (c) gitanjali raman"

tune into "my verbal constipation" for the deep hidden meaning behind this apparently shallow quote.

p.s. hehe those are some good quotes. wish you were here (of the incubus variety) is an all time favourite!

karthik said...

"im gonna get my kicks before this old shit-house goes up in flames"
-jim morrisson

i wish u hadnt quoted wish you were here, though. its too much of a complete entity, as you've already concluded.

smoke said...

Yeah I know... I put it up on my other blog though... The one for the lyrics.

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.