Sunday, April 02, 2006

Carpe Diem

I just realised something. A grand revelation, if you will. An ephiphanic one, even. No, I havent found the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and the mystery of the little green men under my table. And sorry, no medical miracles. It's pretty simple: seize the day!

I've always been the cautious kind... for longer than I can remember. I always think things through meticulously before doing anything. Instinct and spontaneity totally lose out to my left brain. While this may sound like a good thing to some people, what it essentially means is... I'm boring.

Then I realised something. Yes, that was the grand revelation, the epi--well, you get the idea. Life is pretty short, cliches aside. In fact, we're born astride the grave as someone (Brecht, I think, any ideas?) said. The whole of life is how we fill up that gap between birth and death. At the end of it all, wouldn't anyone want to fill that gap in a fun, interesting way?

To me that would be learning to let go of caution for once and just take a wild jump off a cliff, hoping it wouldn't be such a steep fall after all. Once in a while, it's good to just let go and see what life throws at you. You might be concentrating so much on avoiding the pitfalls that you might also miss the perks! Aren't great oportunities for fun and happiness worth a few bruises and scrapes?

This doesn't mean abandoning all sense of self-preservation, of course. One would still want to look out for those serious problems that are so easy to find. But for now, just grab life with both hands and take control! Who knows, it might bring something totally unexpected and wonderful! And if it doesn't, you could look back and say that at least you had the courage to try rather than sit and wait in safety and never discover if the thing you waited for even existed. Seize the day! :D

8 comments:

Ms. Lane said...

BRAVO BRAVO!!!..well put my frend finally all those days of psycho-analysing you and drawing circles on the ground paid off..phew..go for it gal life is not only short its greedy it wants you as much as you want it..so go ahead grab it!..live life for the moment and u'll see how much u wud have missed out on..otherwise..take care all the best with everyhing..ahmm ahmm..

Anonymous said...

Hey Jana,Rini insisted i comment on your stuff.Am still reading through pretty good writing the first thing. saw am i mad and i knew instantaneosly why rini likes you so much(she'll killl me for this..hates being shown as senti and emotional..this post is great too the theories of carpendieum has always fascinated me cause i never got it.Was a major caution look before you leap freak but then it hit me..no she hit me (rini) with her numerous theories and now i've become a total follower of this theory helps in living life better :)..will comment on ur future post

Blazin said...

Seize the day, you say......SEIZE UR POST is what am gonna do, no seriously, i so am gonna take me a copy of that. No not cause am the one who usually sits in the safety zone. but only cause I seriously think that was an awesome piece of work, from the theme till the end, it always makes completly makes sense (i mean EVEN to me lol) keep postin, and i will keep reading on (lol dont say dats wat u r scared off *wink*)

~Archit

Anonymous said...

B.Ice U seem very generous in your comments!!!:)

Blazin said...

TO Anonymous thanks but like honestly you need to get generous by posting up your name :D

sibi said...

hey..i didnt really read thru' the blog. just skimed thru it . u got the title from dead poets society didnt you???:)

sibi said...

hi..
ure page design is really cool. i'm new to bloggin not seen too many blogs just as yet,how did u do the funky designing and all tht and tht linux thing and all..do u have to be like really tech-savvy to do all tht??

smoke said...

Hey sibi I'm not sure which title you mean. If you mean the title of by whole blog, as seen on your browsers title thingie, dain bramaged well I found it somewhere in the vast caverns of the net.

If you mean, you wouldn't survive my alter ego well that came with the template, (i cant alter it) which I got from www.blogskins.com. And no, it's quite simple to apply these templates, no need for great technical knowlege.

As the third and most likely option, the title of my post Carpe Diem: Well I didn't "get" it from anywhere. It's just a foreign-language phrase and a concept in poetry which I thought was apropriate for the theme of this post.

Thanks anyway! Blog on... :D

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.