Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Joys of Depression



I firmly believe in the goodness of depression. I don't mean the long-term, suicidal depression that psychiatrists warn us about, which would perhaps also turn into other exotic mental illness, but the short term fits of 'down'ness that most of us go through. Yes, I believe, through eighteen-and-half long years of experience, in the cathartic effect of a good, old-fashioned, garden-variety pity party.

I truly think that everybody should experience the wonders of wallowing in self-pity at least once in their life time. I'm sure most people would know what I'm talking about: Those times when you think that the whole world is out to get you (when not even a quarter of the human population, [never mind other species] is aware of your existence) and that everybody hates you, nobody loves you, and let's go dig the garden for worms to eat. Somehow there's nothing as satisfying as that feeling! Now I'm not saying it's the same for everyone. I'm sure there are lots of variations in theme such as the I'm-too-fat tirade, or the I'm-too-skinny variation or the I'm-really-a-worthless-person thingummy, or the… well, you get the drift.

The best setting for these moments, I find, would be a dark room or an empty terrace or even a bathroom. As I said, there are variations. You can also get down in the dumps at the top of the Empire State Building (or the LIC building, a lil closer to home). Even trains maybe conducive to the gloomy atmosphere. Oh, and rainy days must be the best times for depression (unless you're an impossible optimist, or a Chennai-ite!). I mean, picture this...

Scene: Indoors.
A window. A windows seat on which sits a young/old man/woman. It is raining outside and said young/old man/woman has his/her face close to the window. In the background is heard weeping violins/wailing sax or simply a depressing song such as 'Why Does It Always Rain On Me'. A (theatrical) teardrop falls down the smooth/wrinkled cheek.

Y/O M/W: Sigh. Woe is me. Oh gloom. Sniff.

Well, I do hope that illustrated my point--the perfection that is rain when it comes to feeling lonely and abandoned.

I, for one, am a master of these mope-fests. I revel in them. I enjoy them. I am completed by them. I make it a point to feel martyred or victimized at least once a month. I mean, one has to keep up standards, after all. And it's awesome, let me tell you! So much so that when you start getting into a better mood, it's with great reluctance that you let go of the feeling.

However, while in these moods, you realize your great capability for feeling down--over nothing! So, the rest of the time, it's quite easy to be bouncy and cheerful because, well... You know you have those special moments waiting for you at the end of the road, where you can feel all persecuted, etc.

9 comments:

Varun B. Krishnan said...

‘down’

what the hell was that supposed to be!!!

smoke said...

Ah that. Well some screw up. Just fixed it.

Internet Explorer sucks. You should go for opera or firefox.

Ms. Lane said...

why does it always rain on me heh!!!!!..optimistic who loves rains no matter what.hint hint..:)
well u sure on for a theatre/scrpitwriting career girl
as far as depressions are concerned well u have a doctrate in it, i am not a real mourner types ppl around don't let tat happen(tragedy of my life that is btw n cause of a lot of depression, u know the whole gosh how can u be depressed rini thingy..but phew atleast u know the truth...lol)
will try ur steps during a depression period but doubt if i'll manage some vilion players guitar would do right??..hee hee
great post btw.
ms. fantabulous strikes again :)

smoke said...

well guitars cant exactly weep but you could just get one of ur brothers to play and sing 'why does it always rain on me' or something equally depressing... That would do quite nicely!

As for the doctrate in depression thing, well don't u think doctrate in cribbing would be better? Heh, best... i have a double doctrate, lol! :)

antickpix said...

it's easy to get into the goodness of depression, but one must be careful not to get caught in the vortex of depression-depression, which is recognizing that one is depressed, and getting depressed because of that.

Da Rodent said...

Aw., well.. I hate depressions. I'll do anything to stay out of one.. gawd..

And firefox rulez..

smoke said...

anticpix, now THERE'S a depressing thought!

I'm sure all rodents also feel that way... about depressiong that is. As for firefox, well, yeah, guess it's good. But I prefer opera meself. Each to her/his own I guess.

On second thought, no. Am not gonna be all deplomatic. Firefox is booorrriiinnngggg! It sux! :P

Hehe.

Da Rodent said...

uh!!! hallo... firefox rulez.., period. :P

Well., I hate to be depressed because I have this tendency of long term depressions. It takes just too much of damage control after that.. might as well stay out.

Manasa. K .Kumar said...

woahhhh thts wat i have always thgt ...oh mann its liek EVERYDAY this happens to me n mah friends ..wwelll thts basically for the same reason ...(not completing some work for which mah school jus is a lill worse than hitler in gic\vin punishments !)

heehaww neway i think the badweird mood is round da corner !
byeeeee
manasa

Disclaimer!

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.